Ayse Ercumen is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources and core faculty in the Global Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Cluster. Dr. Ercumen’s expertise is in infectious disease and environmental epidemiology. Her research is focused on waterborne infections, drinking water and recreational water quality, antimicrobial resistance and health impact evaluations of environmental interventions. She has conducted research in Bangladesh, India and the US, including randomized controlled trials and large-scale cohort studies.
SHORT DESCRIPTION OF INTERESTS:
I am interested in health effects of recreational exposure to contaminants in coastal waters, and associations between traditional/novel recreational water quality indicators and health endpoints among beachgoers, under different exposure scenarios with respect to weather events and contaminant sources.
- Contamination of Fresh Produce with Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria and Associated Risks to Human Health: A Scoping Review , INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH AND PUBLIC HEALTH (2022)
- Biology, behavior and policy, or, Dr. Fauci, Sen. Paul and Prof. Lucas walk into a pandemic , ECLINICALMEDICINE (2021)
- Does Irrigation with Treated and Untreated Wastewater Increase Antimicrobial Resistance in Soil and Water: A Systematic Review , INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH AND PUBLIC HEALTH (2021)
- Effect of sanitation improvements on soil-transmitted helminth eggs in courtyard soil from rural Bangladesh: Evidence from a cluster-randomized controlled trial , PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES (2021)
- Effective Treatment Strategies for the Removal of Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria, Antibiotic-Resistance Genes, and Antibiotic Residues in the Effluent From Wastewater Treatment Plants Receiving Municipal, Hospital, and Domestic Wastewater: Protocol for a Systematic Review , JMIR RESEARCH PROTOCOLS (2021)
- Effectiveness of Mass Media Campaigns to Improve Handwashing-Related Behavior, Knowledge, and Practices in Rural Bangladesh , AMERICAN JOURNAL OF TROPICAL MEDICINE AND HYGIENE (2021)
- Food, water, and sanitation insecurities: Complex linkages and implications for achieving WASH security , GLOBAL PUBLIC HEALTH (2021)
- Longitudinal Effects of a Sanitation Intervention on Environmental Fecal Contamination in a Cluster-Randomized Controlled Trial in Rural Bangladesh , ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY (2021)
- Soil ingestion among young children in rural Bangladesh , JOURNAL OF EXPOSURE SCIENCE AND ENVIRONMENTAL EPIDEMIOLOGY (2021)
- Water use behaviors and water access in intermittent and continuous water supply areas during the COVID-19 pandemic , JOURNAL OF WATER AND HEALTH (2021)