Dr. Orlin Velev is a Frank and Doris Culberson Distinguished Professor at NC State University. Velev has contributed more than 210 publications and has presented more than 270 invited presentations. His numerous awards include NSF Career, AIChE Andreas Acrivos Award for Professional Progress and ACS Langmuir Lecturer. Velev has been elected to an ACS Fellow and MRS Fellow. He has established a record of innovative research in the areas of colloids and nanostructures with electrical and photonic functionality, biosensors, microfluidics and nanomanufacturing. Velev has pioneered novel sustainale nanoparticle materials, and nanofibrillated polymer and biopolymer structures. He has been an advocate of incorporating the latest achievements in the areas of nanoscience and soft matter in the engineering curriculum.
SHORT DESCRIPTION OF INTERESTS:
New methods and technologies for microplastics characterization, collection and removal.
- An integrated chemical engineering approach to understanding microplastics , AICHE JOURNAL (2023)
- Assembly and manipulation of responsive and flexible colloidal structures by magnetic and capillary interactions , SOFT MATTER (2023)
- The Science of Active Colloids Continues to Evolve while Crossing Discipline Boundaries , CURRENT OPINION IN COLLOID & INTERFACE SCIENCE (2023)
- A Critical Review of the Performance and Soil Biodegradability Profiles of Biobased Natural and Chemically Synthesized Polymers in Industrial Applications , ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY (2022)
- AC electrohydrodynamic propulsion and rotation of active particles of engineered shape and asymmetry , CURRENT OPINION IN COLLOID & INTERFACE SCIENCE (2022)
- An accelerated antibody aggregation test based on time sequenced dynamic light scattering , COLLOIDS AND SURFACES A-PHYSICOCHEMICAL AND ENGINEERING ASPECTS (2022)
- Controlled adhesion, membrane pinning and vesicle transport by Janus particles , CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS (2022)
- Efficacy and Mechanisms of Copper Ion-Catalyzed Inactivation of Human Norovirus br , ACS INFECTIOUS DISEASES (2022)
- Light scattering of colloidal suspensions: formation and stability in bourbon whiskeys , JOURNAL OF THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING (2022)
- Molecular structure effects on the mechanisms of corrosion protection of model epoxy coatings on metals , MATERIALS CHEMISTRY FRONTIERS (2022)